Name: Carrie Harris
Book Title: BAD TASTE IN BOYS
Release Date: Summer 2011
BAD TASTE IN BOYS synopsis:
Kate Grable is a science nerd, plain and simple. The only thing she knows about football is that you’re supposed to score more points than the other guys, but student training looks great on college applications. Besides, it gives her a good excuse to drool over Aaron, the team’s uber-smart quarterback. But when the players start puking up black stuff and losing random body parts, Kate’s got to put all her geekery to good use. She has a chance with the guy of her dreams, and she’s not about to lose him to the pukey, body-part-lacking undead.
In a battle of science geek versus zombies, it’s wise to put your money on the geek.
What made you decide to be a writer?
I have masochistic tendencies. That, and I had a high school English teacher who had the utter gall to give me an F on my first creative writing assignment. That F felt like the freaking Scarlet Letter, and I was pretty sure it didn't stand for Fabulous. I slaved over assignment number 2, got an A+, and suddenly I was hooked. If my other teachers had clued in and started giving me Fs, I might have turned out to be an astronaut. Apparently, I am all about the negative feedback.
When it comes to comedy, I’m all about Terry Prachett and Douglas Adams. Other favorites include Neil Gaiman, Maureen Johnson, Scott Westerfeld, Jim Butcher, and Tom Robbins. And my kid. Because really, there’s nothing like having your kid come home and say, “I’m a writer like you, Mom! Look at my zombie!”
Morning person or a night owl?
I would like to be a night owl. Unfortunately, my children don’t cooperate with this. So I’m a grumbly, snarly morning person.
PC or mac?
I’ve always loved Macs, but we’re PC at our house. Actually, we’re very un-PC, but we use PCs. Important distinction.
What did you have for dinner today?
Steak! It was Steak and Zombie Night at Chez Harris. We ate the steaks. We watched the zombies. It’s a good thing we didn’t get the two confused, because that would have been bad.
Quick! Share 11 random things about yourself.
1. I fell off a cliff once. The kicker to this is that I was taking a wilderness rescue course… learning how to save people who fall off cliffs.
2. I managed the national research center for Mad Cow disease in humans. My husband used to call me ‘Mad Cow,’ but only in public.
3. I can put both legs behind my head. This sounds cool until you do it at a party, forget to hold yourself up, fall on your nose, and get stuck there.
4. I don’t put my legs behind my head any more. See #3 for more details.
5. My favorite undead celebrity is Zom Cruise.
6. I was once the victim of a lick-and-run. No, I’m not kidding. Yes, I took a bath in Lysol afterward. Yes, I think it’s funny anyway.
7. My minivan’s name is Helsing.
8. I don’t think it’s fair that vampires get all the sparkles. Mutant wombats deserve sparkles too. I plan to start a special interest group and lobby in Washington for equal sparkle rights.
9. I am married to a ninja. There’s something strangely attractive about watching a man bat shuriken out of the air. No, really.
10. I like to crochet. Right now, I’m working on a Richard Simmons zombie doll. With sparkly shorts. (Equal sparkles for all!)
11. The other moms at the school bus stop think I’m weird. They don’t realize that I think this is a compliment.