BROKEN WINGS, Harcourt, Fall 2011
Fifteen-year-old Stevie is having a rough summer. On top of dealing with her mom's addiction to crystal meth, she's forced to live with her Mom's annoyingly perfect sister, Aunt Mindy, while Mom is in rehab. During the course of the summer she begins volunteering at On the Wing, where she learns to care for injured and abandoned birds. There she meets Alan, whose had an even rougher ride than she has. Through him, and through her work with the birds, Stevie learns about her relationship with her mom, about herself, and about the difficulties of breaking away from all she's ever known.
Website address: Website under construction
Favorite books/authors? Speak, Deadline, Stuck in Neutral, Marcelo in the Real World, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, Chris Crutcher, Mary Pearson, Stephen King, Louisa May Alcott, Emily Dickinson
Morning person or a night owl? Morning
PC or mac? PC (but for going online I use my husband's mac).
Quick! Share 11 random things about yourself.
1. I love cats. No, I adore them
2. I grew up in San Diego.
3. My older brother is autistic and was one of Dustin Hoffman's models for the character in Rainman.
4. I love old Bette Davis movies.
5. My nickname in college was Muffin.
5. I majored in Theatre and at one time wanted to be an actress.
6. I've studied ballet and modern dance, and now I make part of my living teaching dance to kids.
7. I'm a certified Pilates instructor.
8. I have two stepsons. One is 15, the other is 22 and in the Air Force.
9. I'm a cancer survivor (Hodgkin's lymphoma at age 15) and so is my husband.
10. I'm a boring cook.
11. I'm missing the big toenail on my right foot