Teenie, Knopf, Winter 2010
Teenie, that's what my girls call me. I'm 5 feet and 1/4 inch, 101 lbs, with all my books in my book bag and a pair of waterlogged Timberlands on.
High school freshman Martine (Teenie for short) is a good student, with a bright future ahead of her. She's desperate to be accepted into a prestigious study abroad program in Spain so that she can see what life is like beyond the streets of Brooklyn. She wouldn't mind escaping from her strict (though lovable) parents for awhile either. But when the captain of the basketball team starts to pay attention to her after she's pined away for him for months and Cherise, her best friend, meets a guy on-line, Teenie's mind is on anything but her schoolwork. Teenie's longtime crush isn't what he seemed to be, nor is her best friend's on-line love. Can Teenie get her act together in time to save her friendship with Cherise, save her grade point average so that she can study in Spain, and save herself from a potentially dangerous relationship?
Your website address Under Construction
What made you decide to be a writer?
I love to tell stories. If you ask any of my friends, you'll be sure to hear that I'm a certified blabbermouth. In jest, one friend suggested that I try my hand at writing. 10 years later, eureka!
Favorite Books: The Brief and Wondrous life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz), The Prophet (Kahlil Gibran), The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho), Harry Potter (Rowling), Lord of The Rings (Tolkien)
Favorite Authors: Junot Diaz, Tom Clancy, Kahlil Gibran, Phillip Roth, Yann Martel, Colson Whitehead, Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Morning person or a night owl?
Night Owl. I'm like one of those dark seekers from I Am Legend.
PC or mac?
What did you have for dinner today?
Last night, I had Mac and Cheese, Chicken Chunks and Broccoli.
Quick! Share 11 random things about yourself.
1. I am an absolute nerd when it comes to animals. Cockroaches run five feet per second which works out to about 200 mph.
2. I took a life timeout and lived in Grenada for five months.
3. I played the violin for nine years.
4. I still regard beating my brother in John Madden 92 (video game) as a momentous occassion in my life. 54-0!
5. I have a knack for impersonating accents (and I use them to entertain myself in the bathroom mirror).
6. I blocked Chicago Bulls forward James Johnson's dunk last summer during a pick up game! Okay, I got it on the way up and pulled my hamstring in the process but he did say, "Good Block."
7. When I was 16, a cashier at TJ Maxx was flirting with me. I walked away but returned to give her my number. I wanted to say, "I would have regretted not doing this" but I said, "I hope I don't regret this." Of course she never called.
8. I hate the smell of Cilantro but I always pick up a bunch at the grocery store, smell it, and say, "I hate the smell of Cilantro."
9. I am 1/8 Scottish. (of the Archer Clan)
10. My hair was locked for eight years and reached a length of 18 inches.
11. In 4th grade I had the biggest crush on a girl named Cherise and while I was talking to her a piece of corn flew out of my mouth and landed on her cheek. I wanted to die right there.