Name : Guadalupe Garcia McCall
2011 Book Title: Under the Mesquite
Publisher: Lee & Low Books
Release Date: Spring 2011
Your book's synopsis: When Lupita sees Mami crying over a pesky mesquite growing in her rose garden, she knows something is wrong. Through the kitchen window, she overhears that Mami has cancer. After an operation, things seem to return to normal for Lupita and her family, and they go on with their lives, going back and forth between attending school, working, and living in the United States and visiting family and friends in Mexico. However, when Mami's cancer returns, Papi doesn't know whether he should accompany Mami during her long convalescence at an out of town cancer clinic or stay home to care for Lupita and her seven brothers and sisters. Suddenly, being a high school student, dealing with difficult friends, starring in the school play, even writing become less important to Lupita than doing whatever it takes to save Mami's life.
Your website address: www.guadalupegarciamccall.com
Your Twitter handle: ggmccall
Facebook address: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?&new_box_added_id=98768590278
What made you decide to be a writer? I really never had a choice. I started writing short stories and poems the minute I learned how to pick up a pencil. My father always encouraged it. He made me believe it. Then, in the third grade, my teacher, Mr. Hernandez, said, "You're going to be a writer someday," and suddenly it all made sense to me. This was something I could do. It was my passion, my gift. I told stories: good ones, bad ones, silly ones, exciting ones, boring ones, it didn't matter. They were my stories, and I loved them all. I've been writing narrative poetry and telling stories ever since, thanks to Mr. Hernandez.
Favorite books/authors? Oh, gosh, there are soooo many! I love the classics, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The Pearl, Fahrenheit 451, The Old Man and the Sea, The Odyssey, anything mythology, anything poetry, anything written.
Morning person or a night owl? I love the moonlight streaming through my window as I unravel a tale in my head and stare at the glow of my computer. It's the best time to write. Quiet, mystical, full of possibilities.
PC or mac? PC all the way!
What did you have for dinner today? Tacos, two for a buck. I love Jack!
11 Random things about me...
1. I love caldo. I'd be happy to eat it every day if I had to.
2. I love lipsticks. Can't buy enough of them. It's the only thing I love more than gel pens (you can write with them too).
3. I've been teaching 8th grade for 22 years, and I still LOVE IT! School is my home away from home.
4. This year, I have 3 sons in college...so I'm still shaking off the empty nest syndrome...I get cold sweats every time I think about them being gone.
5. Mexican sweet bread is my poison! I can't have just one empanada.
6. I'm technologically challenged... computer-talk is Greek to me.
7. I'm a big time bargain shopper. I love coupons, 1/2 priced bookstores, and thrift shops. Show me a huge savings, and I'm there!
8. I'm a terrible, no-good, very bad driver! Just ask Tenner, Jennifer Cervantes. Better yet, don't ask her. Take my word for it.
9. I love fashionable clothes, purses, and shoes. But it's not my fault; I'm a girl!
10. I have a BA in Theatre Arts...so, I guess that makes me a Drama Queen.
11. I'm a Scorpio in the Western Horoscope and a Snake in the Chinese Calendar.