This is me. My profile picture is Ted Bundy. Definitely not me.
ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD
Tor, September 2011
Theseus Cassio Lowood, (called "Cas", because who would want to be called "Theseus"), has inherited a strange vocation. He kills the dead. So did his father before him, until he was murdered by a ghost in Baton Rouge. Now, armed with his father's mystical athame, Cas travels the country with his small, pale caravan: just him, his kitchen-witch mother, and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow the legends, the local lore, aided by tips from others in the know, trying to keep up with the murderous dead, and putting pesky things like the future, and friends, on hold.
When they arrive in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in search of the ghost they call "Anna Dressed in Blood", Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. And she, for whatever reason, spares his life. So what's a ghost killer to do? To complicate matters, the civilians of Thunder Bay just won't stay out of his business. And something else has followed him too. Something with a taste for the living.
www.kendareblake.com , livejournal, Facebook
What made you decide to be a writer?
Well it was either that or be a huge a-hole basketcase. I tried the whole "Not Writing" thing, got a non-writing related degree, worked in middle management. Then I shucked it all to go to London and get a writerly MA. Writing has always been a compulsion. It didn't feel like a conscious decision, and I'm grateful every day to be able to do it.
Bret Easton Ellis. He's just so moral and in your face. Milan Kundera, the brain that can't be stopped by time or war-crime tribunals. Joe Hill, better than his papa, or at least just as good, in a different way. Caitlin R Kiernan, creator of the weird and beautiful. I love the His Dark Materials trilogy. I love The Mists of Avalon. Andre Dubus and Raymond Carver rock my socks when it comes to simplicity and transforming the mundane. Damn I love this question.
Morning person or a night owl?
Rip me out of bed and I will adapt.
PC or mac?
PC. Justin Long or John Hodgeman? Why not both?
What did you have for dinner today?
Chinese takeout. Sweet and sour chicken with beef fried rice. Some very odd wontons.
Quick! Share 11 random things about yourself.
1. One of my best friends is a criminal justice prof. specializing in serial killers. Hence the Ted Bundy profile pic.
2. Nobody beats me in Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. Nobody, damn you!
3. I support animals and the environment.
4. Once when I was horseback riding in Ireland, my horse slipped and fell while climbing up the foot of a mountain. No more mountains, thank you.
5. I've been known to randomly silly string pedestrians while riding in a car. If you are one of those I have hit, Dude, I'm sorry. Hope you got a weird story to tell out of it.
6. I have a very old cell phone, and no desire to upgrade. Try dropping your iPhone down a toilet and having it work perfectly afterward. Hah! Wait, that story is kind of gross...
7. I "adopted" my brother when we were fifteen, and the rest of my family just went with it. His took longer to convince.
8. I love mayonnaise and use it in everything.
9. Purses are from the devil. Backpacks or messenger bags only.
10. I firmly believe that Gargoyles is the best cartoon to come out of Disney in the 1990's.
11. Wine tasting is the most fun you can have with friends, a DD, and a minivan.